Previous Research at the Site
Dissertation and all web site contents copyright 2008 Bradley W. Russell
Early Archaeological Work at the Site (cont.)

 Periodic interest in the site continued into the early twentieth century.  Sylvanus Morley and Thomas
Gann stopped at Mayapán in 1918 and visited the city wall as well as Stela 1 at its new home in the now
abandoned hacienda in Xcanchakan (Figures 2.11 and 2.12).  Morley provided a reading of the eroded
stela date of 12.4.0.0.0, or 1438 A.D. using the Morley-Spinden correlation (Pollock 1962:3).  It is unclear if
T.A. Willard (1933:274-275) actually visited the site.  He did, however, publish a couple photos of interest.  
In 1936 Lawrence Roys conducted a preliminary study of the masonry styles of the vaulted architecture
still standing.  The first large scale site survey was conducted by R.T. Patton (Brown 1999:88-90 Morley
1938:141-142) in 1938.  He produced maps of the city wall and the Main Plaza group which became the
basis for later maps by Morris Jones.  While visiting the site, Morley changed his reading of Stela 1’s date
to 1185, using the Goodman-Martínez-Thompson correlation.  He also provided two additional stelae
dates, 1244 A.D. for Stela 5 and 1283 A.D. for Stela 6 (Patton 1962:3).  The first systematic study of the
pottery from Mayapán was conducted by G.W. Brainerd in1942 as part of a broader regional survey.  The
results were published posthumously some years later (Brainerd 1958).  This early work confirmed
Mayapán’s late date.  E.W. Andrews (1942:261-263) conducted a month long investigation of the site’s
architecture during Brainerd’s visit.










PAGE (2 of 6 previous research) 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6